Thursday, October 27, 2011

Bittersweet Season

Yesterday I had a day off to make up for the extra weekend days I have worked this month. We are at a point in the season where not everyone is working the same days, so yesterday everyone else worked. I used the day to work on a carpentry project that I have been putting off for months and, in essence, spent the day working between two projects PMOEC staff were dedicated to. Every break I took, I walked to the end of the barn where I was working and it was nice to see how hard the staff was working. They have gelled and are working incredibly efficiently; bike repair was going on to my left, to the right Tim lead a crew doing some insulation repairs to the footer of one of our dorms and, in the distance, I could hear the near constant hum of a chainsaw, indicating the ongoing process of chopping and splitting wood. Unfortunately, it is always this time of year that indicates that, while the staff is working incredibly well, the fall season is also winding down. We are preparing for our last two groups of the season, one of whom is our first group to be with us over Halloween in many years, and the other our first French Canadian group of the year. While looking forward to seeing the staff function at a high level through both of these visits, it is a bittersweet feeling; snow will definitely fly soon and another successful season will be behind us.

Come out on the 11th of November to our next Community Event; we will be hosting the Underground Railroad Experience at the 1812 Homestead. It is an amazing experience, being able to get a glimpse of the emotion of being a slave on the run in the North Country in 1850. We hope to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment