Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Super Bowl of Pranks

In High School pranks were status symbols. In the days leading up to graduation in the spring, the seniors were given a lot of freedom at nights. Many days, the student body started the day admiring the previous night's work; a teacher's car filled with shoes in the courtyard, the headmaster's office meticulously reset on one of the floating docks, a false arrest orchestrated with the assistance of the local police department. The list is endless and hilarious. I'm sure you can tell that I revel in these tricks and love to tell the tales, perhaps even to a fault.
Apparently, the staff had gotten wind of this obsession and decided to set-up a prank of their one. Alas, in the planning of this one, I was not able to share in the excited anticipation because this particular prank was going to be at my expense. Apparently the original plan was for April 1st, but the actual execution was on this past Monday morning, a perfect day as the staff all started work a few hours before me that day. When I arrived at work and came up the stairs, I came into my office and, where my desk chair normally sat, was a toilet. No the water was not hooked up and, no, there was nothing in the bowl; but there it was. It was as clean as an old toilet that has been living underneath of one of the barns onsite can be. Quietly, brightly and stoutly, it mocked me.
So what did I do? I sat down. I checked my email. I considered this effort. And I laughed. Out loud. How could I just let this pass without really enjoying it. I was touched to be pranked. It was truly hilarious.
I hope that you work in a place that: a) will not look poorly upon a friendly prank being played that does not take away from your work productivity and b) has a team of people that have the kind of relationship I have with my staff where a toilet in your office brings you to tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment