Thursday, March 17, 2011

Morning Meeting and Sap

Did you know that we have a meeting every Thursday morning at The Sportsman's Dinette in Willsboro, NY? If you don't believe me, check out the live video feed of the interior of the restaurant. We are the group of 5 in the corner- Sharp, Sarah, Scott, Stites and Erin- making important decisions effecting the future of the summer camp as well as outdoor ed. It was at one of these meetings that we decided that PMOEC would try to get involved in this year's maple syrup production at The 1812 Homestead. With Jack Swan's blessing, we have gone full tilt into it. I will admit I knew nothing about the practice when we began 2 weeks ago, and the taps that I recently found in some oak trees that look like sugar maples shows me that the learning curve for PMOEC staff members is also steep. Despite that, we ARE learning (that is the mission of our center anyway, right?). We have tapped 60+ trees, we have collected around 50 gallons of sap and today we boil. After all is said and done, we are hoping to produce enough syrup to have at our 'Last Drop Pancake Breakfast' in late April smothered in nothing but our homemade syrup. And one final apology to go out to Mother Nature- I am sorry that in my last blog post I suggested that winter was over. Thank you for the 2.5 feet of snow to remind me of your strength and power. I will never tempt your wrath again.

No comments:

Post a Comment