Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Old Friends, New Faces

It has been a long time since we posted to the blog, but we have been keeping busy. In March, we all took some vacation time and had all sorts of adventures. I went to Brazil to see Viv Poit and Aja Bryant, the former Assistant Director and Chef, respectively, here at Pok-O. The visit to Brazil was awesome, and it was really great to see Viv and Aja again. Both of them are teaching English--I guess all that time working with French Canadians inspired them! Below is a picture of the three of us at Iguassu Falls, which is one of the largest waterfalls in the world. (When Eleanor Roosevelt went there, she said that Iguassu made Niagara Falls look like a leaky faucet.)


At the end of March, we started our Spring Season with staff training. Our staff this spring is mostly full of familiar faces: those of us who were here all year (Stites, Brian, Molly, Liz, Mark, and Julie) plus Tim Oprzadek, who worked at Pok-O last Fall and Spring. We have one new person on staff: our intern Blythe Czaja. This internship will finish up Blythe's degree in SUNY Cobleskill. Below is a picture of Blythe on top of Poke-O-Moonshine Mountain during staff training.



2 comments:

  1. Hehehe! I just saw this...hurray! Brazilian love! By the way, everyone was excited about the cards and thank you for my book back. :-) Aja and I are planning to take a picture of her and Sam both wearing the Pok-O hoodies together sometime. We'll be sure to send it to you.

    Happy Spring and grad school!
    Brazilian love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly, you're totally right. Our French-Canadian groups, and the incredible commitment of the PMOEC staff to experiential education, inspired me to become a teacher. I love living in Brazil, but I think about (and miss) Pok-O all the time. Happily, I've been accepted to SIT's Master of Arts in Teaching TESOL program and will be back near Lake Champlain (on the other side, in VT) for the next two summers. If I can find some time in between studying, I think I'll go hike those Pok-O-Patch mountains again... Love to all, and happy learning!

    ReplyDelete