Tuesday, May 5, 2009

We Learn Something New Every Day

Spring flowers have been popping out left and right. Many of the flowers are familiar to us, but every day we find a few flowers that we don't know. Liz and I have been pouring over our field guides lately, trying to figure out what we've been seeing. Below is a picture of a flower that I found in the woods near the teams course over the weekend. 
I wasn't sure what the flower was, and I couldn't find it in my field guides. So I called in a expert--Dan Barringer, the preserve manager at Crow's Nest Nature Preserve. Crow's Nest is located just outside Philadelphia, and I have worked there off and on for years. Dan has an amazing memory for plants, so I knew I could count on him. Sure enough, he was able to tell me that it was called bellwort (Uvularia perfoliata). In fact, Dan was able to send me a link to where he had written about bellwort on his blog. You can check it out at:  http://natlands.typepad.com/nlt_preserve_blog/2007/05/crows_nest_flow.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment